Dr. Shiv Chopra is one of three Health Canada scientists whose testimony before a Senate Committee in 1998 triggered headlines around the world. The scientists testified that Health Canada managers had pressured them to release suspect veterinary drugs into the food chain without the evidence of safety required by the Food and Drugs Act.
In telling the story of his career, Chopra provides a detailed account of intrigue, manipulation and deception as Health Canada managers scramble to please drug companies – at the behest of their own political masters – by approving inadequately tested drugs. He accuses management of:
- Ignoring, sidelining and attacking scientists who would not bow to management pressure to approve drugs without the legally-required evidence of safety
- Arbitrarily approving by fiat veterinary drugs containing known carcinogens and hormones with known serious health impacts
- Refusing to revisit previous drug approvals when subsequent evidence emerged that these drugs were not safe
- Promoting people who showed themselves willing to comply with these deceptive practices, while sidelining scientists who adhered to the law
- Distorting, manipulating or ignoring scientists’ reports on the risks of certain drugs
- Muzzling scientists whose findings were inconvenient to the department, by forbidding them to speak to anyone about their work.
After a promising start, Chopra’s career with Health Canada went nowhere as he repeatedly clashed with management over certain drug approvals. The end came for Chopra and his colleagues a few years after their Senate appearance, when all three were fired simultaneously.
YOU CAN PREVENT CANCER NOW
To protect yourself from getting cancer, or a recurrence, choose foods, house and garden products, play spaces, toys, medicines and medical tests that will minimize your exposure to toxins. Here are some tips!
Read more: http://shivchopra.com/?cat=6